Friday, April 16, 2010

4.5 week video--leave my tail alone!

You can see one pup's obsession with biting the other pup's tail lead to a take-down, younger puppy style. As they get a bit older, take-downs will be both loud and ferocious looking and sounding.



You can also see that pups LOVE toys with smaller legs that allow them to fit part of the toy in the mouth and manipulate the rest of the larger toy. I have found octopus toys to be VERY popular. In fact, the blue octopus has been with me for years and is a favorite toy of both adults and pups. You can see that this toy is gradually loosing its legs, but it is amazing that blue octopus still survives when one considers the standard schnauzer's desire and superb skill at "killing" plush toys within 10 seconds to 30 minutes of receiving them. Of course, not all schnauzers have this desire, but mine certainly do and I know of many others' schnauzers with the same desire and rapid toy "killing" power.

Must be something special about blue octopus.

I would recommend that all people getting a standard schnauzer puppy get a couple of octopi for their pup. Adult schnauzer can handle much bigger octopi and LOVE carrying them and dragging them about. Another purchasing recommendation!

3 comments:

  1. After hundreds of dollars invested, we finally just quit buying toys for Kyo. They are typically destroyed in a day. Even if I say "No, don't destroy it" he'll stop for awhile and then before you know it, I find him sneakily hiding behind the couch covered in stuffing as he rips it to shreds.

    If that octopus was in our house it would have no appendages and eyeballs within the first hour. I'm amazed that you said the one you had in the video has survived multiple litters! How can this be?? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely amazed--and shocked--that Blue Octopus survived an hour, let alone for years. I cannot explain it. Kyo's toy killing ability is typical for all of the SS I have lived with. Like you, I have invested far too much money in toys, only to see them destroyed in nanoseconds by a gleeful SS, as if the game is to killing, disembowel and dismember a toy as rapidly as possible.

    Of course, this clearly IS the game to the SS :-((. It is only the unimaginative and kill-joy humans who see things otherwise.

    So, I say again, the miraculous survival of Blue Octopus for *years* with only the loss of a few legs shows that there must simply be something magical about Blue Octopus that all SS--varying pack members, both young and adult, no matter--recognize. I would love to find another Blue Octopus and have searched, but have never seen one. I want to know if this individual toy has special powers (hey, it could happen!) or if it is something in the quality and construction of this toy from the manufacturer. If anyone ever sees one of these in a store or online, please tell me!

    Brooke and Blue Octopus

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I am cracking up over that comment! I talked to a dog owner yesterday and we were talking about dogs and toys. She said her dog (German Shepard) has a weird attraction to stuffed soccer balls (plush ones). The dog will destroy any toy in minutes, but not soccer balls. The dog always had one soccer ball she never destroyed and then the dog owner got her a second one and same thing! So bizarre!

    So it would be very interesting to see if the same would happen with another blue octopus. Maybe you've found the SS's Kryptonite? Or maybe it's more of a SS's "cat nip"? :o)

    ReplyDelete