Monday, March 29, 2010

All Pups Eyes are Open

As of this morning, the eyes on all of the puppies are open.

The pups are light-sensitive, but when eyes first open do not seem to be able to make a meaningful connection between having vision and the world around them.

This evening--after a long day at work and with the pups in Iska's and my husband's care--I noticed that the pups whose eyes opened Saturday or Sunday had made a connection between Iska's smell and the sight of Iska when she comes next to the box. Those pups lifted heads and shambled towards the box door and their mother. (Their ears are not open, so they cannot hear Iska--yet! This is very soon to come.)

Happily, I also think that a couple of pups recognized me when I was next to the box without Iska because, as I sat watching them, two pups must have first smelled me, then looked up, saw me, and half walked, half undulated/crawled towards me.

Very cute and a neat time in their development.

No comments:

Post a Comment